Forums – regular meetings and Book Circles – meet at 6:30 at the Panera Bread Co. community room (875 Bethel Road). Also be sure to check out – and like – “Columbus Futurists” on Facebook!
Forum: April 23, 2015
Topic: Education: A review of 21st Century Skills. (Reading)
For discussion: (Re-scheduled after the cancelled February meeting) From the end of the 90’s and well into the 2000’s – a key meme of education was all about “21st Century skills.” So here we are – 15 years into the next century. How are we doing? Do we know what 21st century skills are? Are we meeting the challenge of teaching them to our young people? Are these adequate? What should be added or taken away? Are skills enough? Is there a context for the 21st century?
There are many ways to approach a topic such as this – but news of the education system in Finland has reached us several times in recent years. What are they doing differently – what results are they aiming for? This article introduces a perspective …
We look forward to seeing you and pursuing a unique discussion at this meeting of the Columbus Futurists!
“Is Google ‘Making us Stupid?” A Deep History and Future of the Internet
David Staley, convener of Columbus Futurists, delivered an upbeat and thought-provoking presentation to The Clio Society recently. The premise is a variation on a theme raised a few years ago by author Nicholas Carr, in his book Is Google Making Us Stupid? This video of Staley’s talk is a compelling combination of quotes, history, examples and unique interpretations that will cause you to consider: what does the Internet really mean – to myself personally, and to culture as a whole?
The Clio Society is a group of people interested in the recovery, interpretation and implications of history – in a wide variety of forms and purpose. A function of the History Department at The Ohio State university, attendance in meetings is free and open to all.
Is Google Making Us Stupid? A Deep History and Future of the Internet, lecture by David Staley, The Clio Society, The Ohio State University, 10/28/2014
Scheduled meetings for 2015 (all meetings meet 6:30-8:30 at the Panera Bread Co. community room,875 Bethel Road): (Also be sure to check out – and like – “Columbus Futurists” on Facebook!)
- Apr 23, 2015 – Topic: Education: A review of 21st Century Skills. Are these adequate? What should be added or taken away? Are skills enough? Is there a content for the 21st century?
- May 21, 2015 – Topic: The Arts in American Society: In an age of decreasing resources where does support for and funding of the Arts fit into American life? Should these be supported by the public? If so, how?
- Jun 18, 2015 – Topic: Columbus 2044: What can we project, 30 years out?
- Jul 23, 2015 – Topic: The Future of Wikipedia: Perhaps one of the greatest social works of the Information Age – can it be sustained?
- Aug 27, 2015 – Topic: Demographics: The last of the Baby Boomers turn 50 in 2014. What are the implications of this – negative and positive?
- Sep 17, 2015 – Topic: The Challenge of Science Fiction: “Where is my flying car and my anti-gravity boots??” Guest presenter – Maura Heaphy
- Oct 22, 2015 – Topic: Economics: What are the implications of the disappearing Middle Class? What can be done?
- Nov 19, 2015 – Topic: TBD
- Dec – no meeting