Forums – regular meetings and Book Circles – meet at 6:30 at the Panera Bread Co. community room (875 Bethel Road). Also be sure to check out – and like – “Columbus Futurists” on Facebook!
Forum: February 19, 2015 – – CANCELLED Due to Weather -
Topic: Education – 21st Century Skills - To be re-scheduled
For discussion: From the late 1990’s through the first decade of of the 2000’s – educational strategists and policy makers talked about the need to address 21st century skills. The world is becoming a radically different place – so we need to prepare our students in the new skills needed to survive and thrive under the new and evolving rules of modern life. Here’s an example of a framework for skills and content.
Here we are – 2015. So how have we done so far with moving toward an understanding and a communication of the skills needed for this century? In a sense – we are now in the midst of the future we were projecting 20-30 years ago. Have we taken advantage of our head start in awareness of the need? Have we defined 21st century skills? Are these definitions adequate? What should be added or taken away? Are skills enough? Is there a content foundation required for 21st century success?
We look forward to seeing you and pursuing a unique discussion at this meeting of the Columbus Futurists!
“Is Google ‘Making us Stupid?” A Deep History and Future of the Internet
David Staley, convener of Columbus Futurists, delivered an upbeat and thought-provoking presentation to The Clio Society recently. The premise is a variation on a theme raised a few years ago by author Nicholas Carr, in his book Is Google Making Us Stupid? This video of Staley’s talk is a compelling combination of quotes, history, examples and unique interpretations that will cause you to consider: what does the Internet really mean – to myself personally, and to culture as a whole?
The Clio Society is a group of people interested in the recovery, interpretation and implications of history – in a wide variety of forms and purpose. A function of the History Department at The Ohio State university, attendance in meetings is free and open to all.
Is Google Making Us Stupid? A Deep History and Future of the Internet, lecture by David Staley, The Clio Society, The Ohio State University, 10/28/2014
Scheduled meetings for 2015 (all meetings meet 6:30-8:30 at the Panera Bread Co. community room,875 Bethel Road): (Also be sure to check out – and like – “Columbus Futurists” on Facebook!)
- Feb 19, 2015 – Cancelled due to weather – Topic: Education: A review of 21st Century Skills. Are these adequate? What should be added or taken away? Are skills enough? Is there a content for the 21st century?
- Mar 26, 2015 – Topic: Economics: What are the implications of the disappearing Middle Class? What can be done?
- Apr 23, 2015 – Topic: The Arts in American Society: In an age of decreasing resources where does support for and funding of the Arts fit into American life? Should these be supported by the public? If so, how?
- May 21, 2015 – Topic: Columbus 2044: What can we project, 30 years out?
- Jun 18, 2015 – Topic: The Future of Wikipedia: Perhaps one of the greatest social works of the Information Age – can it be sustained?
- Jul 23, 2015 – Topic: Demographics: The last of the Baby Boomers turn 50 in 2014. What are the implications of this – negative and positive?
- Aug 27, 2015 – Topic: tbd
- Sep 17, 2015 – Topic: The Challenge of Science Fiction: “Where is my flying car and my anti-gravity boots??” Guest presenter – Maura Heaphy
- Oct 22, 2015 – Topic: tbd
- Nov 19, 2015 – Topic: tbd
- Dec – no meeting