Forums – Regular meetings – meet at 6:30 at the Panera Bread Co. community room (875 Bethel Road). Also be sure to check out – and like – “Columbus Futurists” on Facebook!
Forum: September 20, 2018
Topic: “The Modern Workforce is Freelance“
Across the U.S., there are approximately 53 million freelancers–people who work on a contract basis for multiple entities, rather than being employed by a single company. They make up around 36% of the total workforce, and collectively, they contribute around $1.4 trillion to the U.S. economy. If current trends hold steady, by 2027 the majority of Americans will be freelancers, according to a study commissioned by the freelance marketplace Upwork. What are the implications of a freelance workforce?
An article to read to seed our discussion:
Also in the Media:
David Staley was a guest on In Focus with Mike Kallmeyer discussing the future of Hyperloop: http://spectrumlocalnews.com/section/in-focus/in-focus-shows/2018/03/23/in-focus-hyperloops-impact-on-future
Also in Print:
Columbus Futurists were profiled in a recent edition of the Columbus Dispatch’s special project CbusNEXT. A reporter visited and reported on the November meeting (“Big History”) and interviewed convener David Staley. Check out the story online: “Columbus Futurists gather to anticipate what might be ahead.”
Scheduled Meetings for 2017-18 (all meetings meet 6:30-8:00pm at the Panera Bread Co. community room, 875 Bethel Road): (Also be sure to check out – and like – “Columbus Futurists” on Facebook!)
- May 24, 2018 – Topic: The Future of Global Pandemic
- June 21, 2018 – Topic: Air Force Science & Technology 2030
- July 26, 2018 – Topic: China’s Social Ranking System
- August 23, 2018 – Topic: Data as Labor
- September 20, 2018 – Topic: The Modern Workforce is Freelance
- October 25, 2018 – Topic: Can Smart Cities be Equitable?
- November 15, 2018 – Topic: Finally: Flying Cars
- December 2018 – No meeting
David J. Staley, President